Dandruff refers to the flaking scalp, which falls like snow flakes and sometimes settles on one’s shoulders, face, eyebrows and clothes. In the case of excessive formation of scales on the scalp there is irritating condition associated with bacteria. Dandruff is generally believed to be infections that can spread by the use of common towels, combs, soaps and hairbrushes. There are two types of dandruff:
Whenever the hair is brushed or rubbed the scaliness increases. It may also appear as lumps or crusts on the scalp. There is itching and sometimes the skin turns red due to excessive scratching.
The various contributing factors in the cause of dandruff are:
· Impairment of general health
· Poor nutrition
· Deficiency of zinc
· Fungus (malassezia furfur)
· Oily scalps
· Food allergies
· Excessive perspiration
· Yeast infections
· High use of alkaline soaps and shampoos
· Exposure to dust
· Dry and cold weathers
- Hot steam bath is highly beneficial for the hair and scalp. Massage hot oil and wrap a hot damp towel on the head for sometime.
- Immerse peels of lemon in coconut oil for 8-10 days in sunshine. Now sieve and apply in the hair. Hair will become free of dandruff.
- Hot oil therapy is the best method to cure dandruff. Massage hot oil into the scalp at bedtime. Next morning an hour before the bath, rub lemon juice mixed with cosmetic vinegar into the scalp with cotton wool. Wash your hair properly and as a last rinse use the juice of one lemon in a cup of hot water. Continue this treatment once or twice a week for three months.
- Mix two tablespoons of cosmetic vinegar and six tablespoons of hot water. Dab this with cotton on the scalp and leave it overnight, next morning wash the hair with a shampoo.
- Mix beetroot juice in vinegar and apply on the scalp
- Ginger juice and beetroot juice mixed together and applied on the head also cures dandruff.
- Massage your scalp with the mixture of olive oil and almond oil; leave it for five minutes after you feel the burning sensation. Rinse properly for a dandruff free hair.
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Grind the softened seeds in the morning, apply this paste on the scalp and leave it for half an hour. Then wash you hair with ritha solution or shikakai
- Cider vinegar added to the final rinsing water after shampooing also helps to prevent dandruff.
- Exposure of the head to the rays of the sun is also useful measure in the treatment of dandruff.
- Warm 300 grams of coconut oil with 3 grams of black pepper. When it starts boiling stop heating, sieve with a fine cloth and keep in a bottle. Massage with fingertips in the night gently.
- The use of a teaspoon of fresh limejuice for the last rinse while washing hair in highly beneficial. It leaves the hair glowing and also removes stickiness and prevents dandruff.
- Dilute cider vinegar with equal amount of water and dab this to the hair with cotton wool in between shampooing.
- Mash beetroot leaves in henna paste and apply on the head to prevent dandruff and hair fall.
- Rub the juice of snake gourd on the scalp for the treatment of dandruff.
- Massage one’s hair for half an hour with curd which has been left open for 3 days or with few drops of lime juice mixed with amla every night before going to bed.
- Application of processed henna once in 15 days helps to prevent dandruff. Boil equal amounts of amla and shikakai powder in water and allow it to cool. Now mix henna powder, very small amount of fenugreek and roasted clove powder, a little lemon juice and egg.
- Wash the hair with green gram powder in curd twice a week.
- Immerse split black gram in milk, mix it and apply on the scalp.
- Beat two eggs and add two tablespoons of water to it. Wet the hair and apply the egg mixture over the hair. Now massage your scalp and let the mixture on for ten minutes to fifteen minutes. Then rinse the hair with lukewarm water. This will keep both dandruff and hair fall problem away from you.
Diet plays an important role in the treatment of dandruff. The diet should consist of fresh juicy fruits, such as apples, grapes, pears, pineapple and peaches. Citrus fruits, bananas, dried or tinned fruits should not be taken. Emphasis should be on raw foods especially fresh fruits and vegetables, sprouted seeds, raw nuts and whole grain cereals. Starchy, protein and fatty foods should be restricted. Meats, sugar, strong tea or coffee, processed fruits, candies; soft drinks, pickles and condiments should be avoided.
Tags: Prom Hairstyles, Haircare Tips, Dandruff